Bike Accident Lawyer
Distracted driving is a serious threat that claims thousands of lives yearly in the United States. Using mobile devices while driving demands the driver’s attention, which diverts the focus from the roads, and in that split second, the situation becomes risky for the driver and others on the roads. It’s a dangerous habit that a driver needs to address. Mobile devices are the key problem. Texting, browsing social media, and checking emails while driving demand our attention, making us blind to the road and compromising our reaction times. The consequences can be devastating. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2021 nearly 3,522 deaths occurred due to distracted driving.
Fortunately, there is hope technology offers a life-saving solution – hands-free options. Voice-activated assistants, Bluetooth headsets, and integrated infotainment systems allow drivers to stay connected while keeping their eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel. This article discusses the dangers of using mobile devices while driving and outlines the importance of hands-free options as a bike accident lawyer from SL Chapman Trial Lawyers can share.
Dangers of using mobile devices while Driving
There is no surprise that mobile phones are becoming the main cause of accidents. This is because buzzing notifications from mobile phones ask for attention from the hand, eyes, and brain.
Major dangers include
- Reduced awareness of surrounding
- Failing to see road signs and warnings
- Compromised judgment of distances and road conditions
- Decreased reaction times
- Fails to maintain the required distance from the vehicle
Not only drivers but pedestrians who use a phone while walking in traffic can become a victim of it.
What is a hands-free device?
A Hand free device is an apparatus used with smartphones that allow users to talk on the phone without holding it. These devices allow users to drive while managing the background tasks like talking on calls, listening to music, and answering texts using air gestures. Hands-free technologies use the same wireless systems in emerging mobile device technologies and other wireless networks. Today, almost every smartphone has hands-free installed in it.
Hands-free control devices include-
- Voice Controls- Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, Bixby, or Cortana.
- Bluetooth Accessories- Headphones, wireless earphones, earbuds, and smartwatches.
- GPS Mount for the cars.
Studies indicate that utilizing hands-free devices while driving decreases the chances of car accidents. 70%-80% of US drivers found hand-free, convenient, and safe options while driving.
Importance of Hands-Free Options
- Hands-free devices help to prioritize safety by permitting you to keep your hands on the steering and not touching phone.
- Using hands-free devices helps maintain focus on the road, minimizing distractions and reducing the chances of accidents.
- It also enables drivers to stay connected and access essential features like navigation or voice commands.
- Legal compliance is another critical reason to use hands-free devices.
- Using hands-free devices promotes a positive driving culture by setting a good example for other drivers.
There is no denying that using phones can cause accidents, but technology is a hope horizon that helps to drive safely and allows drivers to do secondary tasks. Please remember that using a mobile while driving claims the life of the driver and can also be dangerous for people sharing the same roads. If you are hit by a distracted driver, contact an attorney near you for help.